Call 24 Hours A Day 586.806.4678
Safehaus is growing at a fast pace. We need highly skilled, determined and dedicated people to help us continue to grow. Filling out our application is the first step to success. Everyone is welcome to apply.
Position Title: Child Mentor
Location: Warren, Mi and Rose City, MI
Department: Residential Services/Child Care
Payroll Status: Hourly/ Non-Exempt for Overtime
Supervised and Evaluated by: Supervisors
Security / Confidentiality
Required Education (min)
High School Diploma, College Degree Preferred
Minimum Required Experience: Prefer experience working with emotionally impaired your or related work with children.
Personal Traits: Must possess the understanding and ability to cope with emotionally impaired children as well the empathy needed to effectively provide services to behaviorally/emotionally challenged children. Must be self-directed, have legible penmanship, and basic Math and English proficiency. Must be nature and responsible, and of good moral character to serve as a role model for children.
General Responsibilities: Assume monitoring responsibilities of residents in the unit. Participate in treatment team planning meeting for assigned residents.
Specific Duties of this position:
- Successfully complete the orientation program upon being hired.
- Complete training course in Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) and be physically able to assist with residents that require physical intervention.
- Utilize CPI method of crises intervention to ensure safety of resident when aggressive behaviors are present and physical intervention is required.
- Youth Specialist is expected to be on time of work as scheduled and at their assigned work station at the start of their shift.
- Specific residents to staff ratio must be maintained in accordance with policy and established guidelines; therefore, Youth Specialist is required to comply with staffing coverage needs as directed by the supervisor in order maintain staff child ratio.
- Interact with supervisor in an appropriate and timely manner in response to changing departmental needs. Youth specialist must respond in positive manner to training and the implementation of corrective action.
- Constructively use work time in the performance of daily routines and interactions with residents, I.E. > no loitering during work time and no unexcused absences from assigned work area.
- Establish a high visibility as a positive role model for all residents and for the other employees to ensure positive outcome.
- Communicate directly with supervisor by means of debriefed, individual supervision, attendance and involvement in team meeting and developing programs for residents.
- Listen to residents for behavioral cues. Give positive reinforcement and feedback in an appropriate timely manner. Stay Neutral when resolving resident and team disputes.
- Assume active role for daily implementation and documentation of treatment interventions of resident’s behaviors in milieu progress log note.
- Assist in maintaining clean appearance of the residential team/unit. Provide general upkeep of bedrooms, hygiene areas, day room, ECT.
- Know and be in compliance with all Safehaus Policies and procedures; State or Michigan licensing Regulations.
- Attend treatment team meeting, in service training and all annual training as required.
- Be aware of and follow resident’s Special Handling Orders and Medical Handling Orders as written.
- Remain at assigned work station until the entire shift reports to duty; apprise supervisor of improper staffing levels.
- Comply when mandated to work the next shift to meet staff; child ration and program’s needs.
- Notify supervisor and document adverse incidents, staff injuries, seclusions, restraints, escorts and property damage as they occur.
- Take an active role in the employee evaluation process (at 6- months after hire and annually thereafter)
- Serve on committees as requested by supervisor or the administrative staff.
- Adhere to dress code and uniform attire policy
- Ensure Proper supervision of residents at all times. Youth Specialist must never leave residents unsupervised.
- Contact SOD for support when needed with resident in crisis situations.
- Know and practice Safehaus Mission Statement, Core Values and Vision, and code of Ethics.
- Assume additional resistibility’s as directed by supervisors and other Safehaus administrative staff.
- Direct resident’s medical complaints to SOD, and health Services using proper form.
- Must be able to lift, stand, stoop, and bend to meet various daily jobs tasks.
- Implement treatment plans and behavior modification interventions as written for each resident.
- Complete documentations of resident’s behaviors in their Milieu Progress Log before end of shift. Complete all other documentation and distribution of reports (e.g. AIR; Staff Injury Report; Property Damage Reports; Investigation Report; etc.)
Call 24 Hours A Day 586.806.4678
Safehaus, Inc. All Rights Reserved ©2014-2017 • Designed By: Savant Media Images • Eric Wroblewski • 727.831.6064 • email@example.com